Barricade is seeking previously unpublished translations of antifascist and anti-authoritarian literature, including but not limited to short stories, poetry, theater, philosophical/theoretical writing, and excerpts of longer works.
Your submission must include the following:
- Translated manuscript in Microsoft Word, no more than 25 pages. Please name your document [original language][author][title][translator].doc (Example: SpanishCervantesDonQuixoteMenard.doc)
- The original work that you are translating
- A short writeup, no more than 500 words, contextualizing the text and the circumstances surrounding its publication. As this journal seeks to render comparable a wide variety of seemingly incommensurate political moments, we cannot publish any translations without a well-crafted and elucidating statement. Please assume a general audience, rather than a community of specialists, and describe the contemporary political situation, any conversations into which your text is intervening, and provide any other details you think will help readers in understanding the importance of the work.
- A statement from the rights holder of the original text, if the original is not in the public domain, granting permission for Barricade to publish your translation, along with the name and copyright year for the original text.
- A very short (1-3 sentence) biography of the translator.
Please attach all of the above as a single document.
Optional, but encouraged as appropriate:
- Any relevant audio attachments in mp3 format (for example, the original poet performing her work)
- A short statement (no more than 150 words) explaining the philosophy behind your translation and/or the difficulties of rendering the text into English.
Please send all submissions to email@example.com
Submissions are presently being accepted on a rolling basis.